Disney's Muppets

King Jim

Reaction score
Now since Disney bought the Muppets now they might have a new TV show, movies, video games and more.

Thanks to Disney, Muppets live on.

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
Hey! I don't think we should be calling hem Disney's Muppets :concern: As much as i LOVE, eat, sleep and breath Disney....they will always be Jim Henson's Muppets! I really wonldn't mind Disney Presents Jim Henson's Muppets! But IF they do start calling them Disney's Muppets....i ahhh....i guess i could live with that! :rolleyes: :smile: :smile:

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Several sources have confirmed to us that it will be Disney's Muppets in some form. According to where things are right now, Disney doesn't own the name "Jim Henson", just the Muppet and character names. Apparently Disney likes the idea of just using the title "Muppets", "Disney's Muppets" or "Disney Presents the Muppets" because with Disney's name attached it means something new and different whereas "Jim Henson's Muppets" donates a historic legacy. So if things play out according to plan, we will not see "Jim Henson's Muppets" used on any production. I think Sesame Workshop even uses "Jim Henson's Muppets" on their credits, so that may have to change as well after the 35th season.

dmx10101

Reaction score
Phillip Chapman said:
Several sources have confirmed to us that it will be Disney's Muppets in some form. According to where things are right now, Disney doesn't own the name "Jim Henson", just the Muppet and character names. Apparently Disney likes the idea of just using the title "Muppets", "Disney's Muppets" or "Disney Presents the Muppets" because with Disney's name attached it means something new and different whereas "Jim Henson's Muppets" donates a historic legacy. So if things play out according to plan, we will not see "Jim Henson's Muppets" used on any production. I think Sesame Workshop even uses "Jim Henson's Muppets" on their credits, so that may have to change as well after the 35th season.
I don't like that idea. I saw in a pic that it even says Jim Hensons Muppets on the Muppet Vision 3D building.

Green Ranger

Reaction score
dmx10101 said:
I don't like that idea. I saw in a pic that it even says Jim Hensons Muppets on the Muppet Vision 3D building.
He's got a point there.

Luke

Reaction score
Phillip Chapman said:
Several sources have confirmed to us that it will be Disney's Muppets in some form.
OMG - That has just knocked me for six. I would have bet my life they'd have negotiated terms to use the Jim Henson name, especially as they'll still be paying the Hensons a share of future profits and all. I hope they go with just "The Muppets" or something. One of the things i thought they'd want to emphasise was Jim's name because of the past, not want to ignore it. Wow - i was beginning to feel a bit easier about the Diz thing and now this.

ohdarling

Reaction score
personally i dont care as long as the muppets live on though it would be sad if they never gave henson credit..i cant imagine them doing that..:O

jediX

Reaction score
The whole thing just makes me sick now. Even putting JHH or every TMS on dvd wouldn't make up for taking credit for creating the Muppet characters. Its an insult to call them "Disney's Muppets". Just leave it at Muppets, I say.

Luke

Reaction score
I just don't know why they wouldn't have negotiated for Disney to be able to use "Jim Henson" with special agreement from the Henson Legacy in exchange for the Legacy to be able to use Muppet images and Kermit as as a logo or something. I can understand why the actual Henson Company has to get rid of Kermit's head because obviously he doesn't belong to them anymore but Kermit and the Muppets will always be a part of Jim's actual legacy. This is one part of the deal that actually really has shocked me and made me feel a bit sick about it, with the others i could see advantage and disadvantages but i think this is wrong.

Jim's name is as recognisable as the Muppets really, they have been together for over 25 years. I would have thought the heritage of the characters was something Disney might want to stress seeing as "stewardship" seems to be the buzzword right now at JHC and the characters are an American institution. Just slapping Disney on the name stinks of them buying a property and just doing what they like with it fresh - might as well have bought the Gobots.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
my 900th message

Man, this stinks. The only problem I'd have with a Disney/Muppet union is if they'd call them "Disney's Muppets." I know they can't use the "Jim Henson" brand name, but gees, just call them "The Muppets." We know who they are.

I'm not usually for petitions, but...