Sesame Street Character Questions Thread 2004

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, you guys and gals know the drill by now. I'm baaaaack! And I've got a new batch of questions concerning characters from Sesame Street which I'd appreciate you answering in hopes of updating my Muppet Listings.
So let's get to them!

1 The Balls: There's a sketch where Kermit's talking about how to recognize different sizes, and he's using a few Muppet balls to demonstrate his point, including a Muppet basketball. My question is, how many Muppet balls where involved in this sketch and what kinds of balls were they?
2 Who are the characters known as "The Chickens that Quack Like Ducks"? If you could, please provide a brief descript of what they look like, what episode/sketch/segment they appeared in and/or what their gimmick was.
3 Who is the character known as "Floyd Fluter Tooter"? If you could, please provide a brief descript of what he looks like, what episode/sketch/segment he appeared in and/or what his gimmick was.
4 Who is the character known as "Leonard Wolf"? If you could, please provide a brief descript of what he looks like, what episode/sketch/segment he appeared in and/or what his gimmick was.
5 Who is the character known as "Mimsy"? If you could, please provide a brief descript, what episode/sketch/segment she appeared in and/or what her gimmick was.
6 What were the other farm animals that appeared in the News Flash segment where Kermit interviewed Old Macdonald? If you could, please provide brief descripts of each.
7 Asked muppet_dk about this, and he says that there's a Colambo sketch where he's tracking down a character who's stolen a bunch of different farm animals. Is this character's name "Tom, the Piper's Son" or would it be "Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son" from the according nursery rhyme?
8 Who is the character known as "The Beagle"? If you could, please provide a brief descript of what this character looked like, what episode/sketch/segment it was in and/or what its gimmick was.
9 Do you think that there should be an entry for the generic "Chicken" character seen on Sesame Street?
10 Asked muppet_dk about this, and here's what he had to say about a character he he lists as "The Rabbit." This rabbit was used as one of the animals that Grover finds when he tries to help Marty find his dog. It's a purple rabbit with long ears, it's a rather primitive puppet.
Is this the same rabbit character that appeared in an Animal Alphabet opera with Placido Flamingo?
Do you think it would be best to list this character as either "The Rabbit" or "The Purple Rabbit"?
11 Asked muppet_dk about this, and here's what he had to say about a character he lists as "The Banana."
This is just a single banana, which appeared in a sketch with an agent who needed someone to play the role of a yellow furry animal that has black stripes. He had the choice between the Banana and a tiger, and he chose the Banana dressing it up like a tiger. The tiger tryed to get the agent to notice him during this, but it did not happend. At the end the agent tells the tiger that he has another role that would fit the tiger, proceeding to describe what a banana looks like wanting the tiger to dress up for that. Muppet_dk says that he's not sure if the agent's name is Marvin, since he still hasn't gotten confirmation of this fact.
Do any of you remember the sketch in question? Is the agent featured in this sketch named Marvin? and do you think it would be best to list this character as either "The Banana" or "The Banana-Tiger" or "The Banana/Tiger"?
12 There's also a cat and monkey seen in the sketch where Grover tries to help Marty find his dog. How do you think it would be best to list these two: "The Cat" and "The Monkey" respectively? Or should there be a sketch title following these characters' entry designations?
That's all I've got for now, I'd appreciate all the help you guys can give me and please post in this thread ASAP when you've got an answer or two or three.
Thanks and have a good day.

PS: If you need visual references for any of the characters asked about above, the pictures can be found at muppet_dk's website, www.hensondb.tk
Thanks again and please post when you've got an answer or two!

Drtooth

Reaction score
>>4 Who is the character known as "Leonard Wolf"? If you could, please provide a brief descript of what he looks like, what episode/sketch/segment he appeared in and/or what his gimmick was.<<

He appeared this season, in the first week (I can't remember the episode number, but I think it will be on soon again, and I'll write it down).

Basically he is just like the Big Bad Wolf Puppet (A large purple/pinkish wolf) he wears neardy glasses (I have to double check on what kind... they are either wire framed or horn rimmed) and he has a wimpy looking whispy pink/ Purple Mustache (a slightly lighter color than his fur). I'm not sure if he has the same large black eye brows the Big Bad Wolf has.

Anyway, he's the brother of the more famous Big Bad Wolf, but he's more demure, nerdy. He's been accused of blowing things down, but he tries to explain that just because he's a wolf, he doesn't blow things down. He sings a short song "If you've seen one wolf, you've not seen them all"

He was voiced and probably performed by Jerry nelson (He appeared with his brother in a short scene, so I can't confirm who played who). it wqas an opening street segment. Hope this helps!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes it does, Drtooth. That's one down and several more to go. If you or anyone else can answer any or all of the other questions posted here, I'd be most appreciative.
Have a good day.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
That's 2, 2 questions answered!
Thanks SoulH, I have that video, and isn't Gary Grouch another character on that tape? Missed that one but will add it to the listing.
OK, anyone wanna answer the other questions here?
Have a good day.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I saw Leonard Wolf again, and I have a small update...

He has a Pink nose, and his eyebrows are a mousy brown color, unlike his brother's (Black and thick) His glasses are circular wire frames. he appeared on episode number 4035! Hope this helps!

Splurge

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
He was voiced and probably performed by Jerry nelson (He appeared with his brother in a short scene, so I can't confirm who played who). it wqas an opening street segment. Hope this helps!
I'm going out on a limb, but I'm going to say that was done using a split-screen technique, so Jerry, in effect was both of them.

Censored

Reaction score
Well, I heard that the rabbit in "Has Anybody Seen My Dog" was "Howie" whose voice appeared on a record.

BTW, your mention of the talking balls brought to mind an old obscure skit with talking balls on a black background. They are trying to figure out if they have enough people to play basketball. After they get everything set, they make the ironic statement that they cannot play because they don't have a ball.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Splurge said:
I'm going out on a limb, but I'm going to say that was done using a split-screen technique, so Jerry, in effect was both of them.
I'd tend to think of it as dual channel stereo whatchamajigger that they use when Big Bird and Oscar are in a scene together. jerry nelson performed one puppet, while he voiced both...

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Can't say for certain, but I don't think that the Rabbit from the "Has Anyone Seen My Dog?" sketch is the same as Howie. Reason I say this is cause when I mentioned it to Erine81981 in the thread about what would be your top 3 SS character/figure choices, he said that Howie wasn't the purple rabbit that showed up in the Animal Alphabet Opera with Placido Flamingo. And muppet_dk said that this Rabbit character was purple in color and rather rudimentary in construct. So maybe they're two different characters.
Oh, and for everybody's info, here's an update.

1 Who's "Mimsy"? Any info, especially a descript, will help.
2 Who are "The Chickens that Quack Like Ducks"? Is this their correct character name?
3 What were the other animals that showed up in the Old Macdonald News Flash segment?
Thanks for the help and have a good night.