Our own puppet characters

Erine81981

Reaction score
I was just thinking how cool would it be to bring all of our own puppets together and make some kind of Show of our own. Would that be cool. It could have all sourts of things. Animals, monsters, people and and odd shaped characters. If anyone has any good ideas of what the show should be about we could all come together and produce and film our show. And what ever kind of characters u have mention them in this post. Give a discribsion of ur character or characters. Here r a few of mine.

Sam: Bald yellow man who acts young for his age

Manford: Bald white man same here but acts his age

GreenBean: Green Monster w/ anteaus

BlueFur: Blue Monster

Orangston: Orange Monster

Those r my five main characters. (have more but use them as background ones)

jediX

Reaction score
My best friend of 17 years and I used to have our own show w/ characters, and might incorporate them into our new show if it gets picked up by our college's access channel.

Here's a few characters from various incarnations of the show over the years. I'll post links to pics when I get em.

Snoid-A blue guy, often confused with a clam. He sorta assumes the "Kermit" role. Just think Kermit, but blue, crustacean-looking, googley eyes, and a really irritating singing voice.

Gremlin-A green gremlin that is partially Snoid's sidekick. He is calm but can breathe fire when angry.

Snid-Snoid's evil twin.

Birdragon-Half bird-half dragon. Assumes the Sam Eagle type role by keeping the show "cultural," or at least attempting to. :attitude:

Education Demon-Red demon w/ beanie hat, #2 pitchfork/pencil w/ eraser on the end and lead pencils for the prongs.

Herman The Vermin-I'd say this rat is more like Cartman from South Park than a particular Muppet. Smart mouthed, witty, and due to the fact he was hypnotized by Gremlin in an early episode he acts like a chicken whenever limbo music is played.

Squirmy & Wormy (the worms)-Squirmy is a beatnick worm, with shades. He fakes his death in the first episode as a publicity stunt but because the network got such good ratings they decide to kill him (with a creepy sniper that looks eerily like Big Bird :wink:). Wormy assumes the role of worm after Squirmy "dies" as the host of the news segment. Squirmy in fact is not dead and tunnels out of his grave to return to the show.

Beatnik-I guess you could call this guy a hillbilly version of Crazy Harry combined with Animal. He sorta just goes around breaking stuff.

Snoidica-Snoid's girlfriend, she is green with orange hair and looks exactly like Snoid does.

Jerry Seinfeld & Kramer-We made puppets of them for a Seinfeld parody scene in our all-puppet rendition of "Titanic" for a class project in 7th grade. The teacher in fact liked this video so much she put a copy in the school's video archive. :big_grin:

The Lizard Pirates-We created a couple small lizard pirates to use in a project about cloning.

Jim Camel-We didn't build this puppet, but Jim is ashamed of his brother Joe (I'm sure you know who I mean) and plays a wide variety of roles: from lawyer to scientist to game show host to a worm's bodyguard.

Cookie Monster the Ventriloquist-in the segment about the aftermath of Squirmy the Worm's death, Cookie Monster becomes a ventriloquist to a small monkey puppet using the classic "who was that lady I saw you with last night?" bit. Note that ol' Cookie makes for a terrible ventriloquist. :wink:

Network Head-Ok so this is just Bert, but he speaks differently and has a nervous twitch

Theres a lot more, I'll post them when I find the puppets.

Rossilli

Reaction score
Our Own Characters Online

That sounds like a really interesting idea. Especially with the Internet as our vehicle for creation. I am currently involved, as a composer and voice talent, with an animated project that is being developed totaly onlinel.

I think it would be really cool if everyone posted pictures of their own creations to put faces to our characters. Your descriptions (personality) would have more power and influence if we were able to see pictures.

I don't think I am a talented enough puppet builder at this point, however, I have extensive experience as a composer, writer, film editor, etc. where I would love to be involved.

Count me in :smile:
Randy
http://forum.muppetcentral.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=135696#

jediX

Reaction score
My friend and I might get a show on the college's access channel.

Rossilli

Reaction score
Can we see the Puppets

jediX said:
My friend and I might get a show on the college's access channel.
What type of show? In need of any music? Went to your website and didn't see any puppets.

Randy

MIKEB97

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just finished building two puppets. One is a boy with froggy green skin and blue hair. The other is a red worm, which is is slightly similar to Oscar the Grouch, but has no arms and a friendly face.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Hey, here's an idea...what about a "collaborative puppetry video"? We could pick a theme or idea then any puppeteers on here who want to participate in it could tape a short (say 30 second) clip of their character(s) talking about the theme/topic. The clips could then be spliced together as people contribute and viewed on line.

I recently got an FTP server set-up and I've been playing around with CGI scripting and PERL so I could configure a directory on it for the project and put together some sort of web interface.

I mean programmers and musicians do this sort of thing on the net....why not puppeteers?

What does everybody think?

jediX

Reaction score
Rossilli said:
What type of show? In need of any music? Went to your website and didn't see any puppets.

Randy
My friend is a music major and I write songs of my own, so we don't really need that.

My site is very incomplete and I'm also migrating it to another server right now.

jediX

Reaction score
I'm not sure what our show will be. It definately won't be totally puppets...they will probably be side characters or in sketches. We might not start it up until next year, though.

Its called The M&E Show. It is improv comedy sketches, parodies, etc. Like SNL, but improv without sketches that totally bomb.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
Hey, here's an idea...what about a "collaborative puppetry video"? We could pick a theme or idea then any puppeteers on here who want to participate in it could tape a short (say 30 second) clip of their character(s) talking about the theme/topic. The clips could then be spliced together as people contribute and viewed on line.

I recently got an FTP server set-up and I've been playing around with CGI scripting and PERL so I could configure a directory on it for the project and put together some sort of web interface.

I mean programmers and musicians do this sort of thing on the net....why not puppeteers?

What does everybody think?

I'm for it! Sounds like loads o' fun! We wouldn't market it outside of just the cost to make, right? Then make it available to each other and other MC members?