Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I saw this on Showbiz Tonight and found this article from The Associated Press:

The Associated Press said:
New version of 1970s kids' `Electric Company' to air

2 hours ago

LOS ANGELES (AP) — In an updated blast from the past, PBS will air a new version of the 1970s children's series "The Electric Company."

Production on the 21st century model of the PBS show for 6- to 9-year-olds was set to begin Tuesday on the streets of New York City and in a New Jersey studio, according to producer Sesame Workshop.

The series, aimed at reducing the literacy gap between low- and middle-income families, will promote the idea that "reading is cool" with help from online and community-based activities, Sesame Workshop said in an announcement Monday.

"The literacy crisis today is as pervasive and alarming as it was in 1971 when we created the first version of `The Electric Company,'" said Scott Cameron, director of education and research for Sesame Workshop (which is the nonprofit educational organization behind "Sesame Street").

Weekly episodes of "The Electric Company" are scheduled to air nationally in January 2009 on PBS Kids.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
If they aired this alongside Sesame Street & reaired Reading Rainbow at an opportune time for audiences to view it, reading would become cool again, IMHO.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
wwfpooh has hit the nail on the head.

My afternoons began when I got home at 3:
Sesame Street
Electric Company
Mr. Rogers
Reading Rainbow

And then I was outside until well after dark, home to finish homeowrk that I begun during my TV viewing, and off to bed.

And sometimes we had enough money for me to eat somewhere during all of that. Actually, I'm kidding: I always have had food. I'm sure you've all seen pictures of my second and third chins...

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Haha, Kevin! I definately agree that shown in conjunction with other shows, this will provide a great source or edutainment for kids. Though, quick question: are they still making Reading Rainbow, or showing the same old 15-year-old reruns? I sort of like the idea that although they are using an old tried-and-true formula by reviving The Electric Company, it will be new and up-to-date, and utilise modern tools like the internet; I think it will make a big difference, and children will be able to relate to it better than the same old reruns.

Also, since I missed the TEC boat the first time around, I'm personally interested to see what the show will be like!

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I missed the boat too, because it had already sailed before I was born. So hopefully, this revival is done right.

Though as heralde said in another thread that ought to be combined with this one:

Though it is annoying how there seems to be this need to assure people that something won't be "too old." We're not doing kids any favors by telling them old equals bad. And we're going to end up paying for it down the line.
I hope this means that--as AM said--the show isn't modernized too much. :frown:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I hope this means that--as AM said--the show isn't modernized too much. :frown:
By modernized, I hope you don't mean pop culture jokes and current styles of music, albiet in parody form, to nail a point home. I mean, TEC is very very reflective of the times when it was created. From the theme song to the hair styles.

But there are things that cross generation gaps... the Dracula segments for example. We'll clearly get a mixture of new and old styles in the show, as it is pop culture based.

But by modernized, I hope you DO mean how the child psychologists and educators ruined kid's television by various, contradictory reports and studies.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Can't wait to see this new stuff. I'm just glad that Noggin and the DVD came out with older epiosdes. I still can't find Vol. 2. I reallly would love to have it but i'll find it eventually. But can't wait for the new show. I'm just wondering who they'll get to play the grownups and if there'll be a person playing J. Arthur Crank. That is if that character will be in the new show.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I doubt we'd see any continuation of old characters. Think of it this way. When you tune into SNL lately do you see the Coneheads, the lounge singer, or Samurai, albiet played by other people? We definately will see a new cast of up and coming actors performing their own material.

I almost say it's too bad that Paul Rugg is working harder at Henson, since he's be perfect for this stuff. I could clearly see him do a Jerry Lewis type character. Or wacky foreigner.

But it looks that the cast and other details are top secret.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I doubt we'd see any continuation of old characters. Think of it this way. When you tune into SNL lately do you see the Coneheads, the lounge singer, or Samurai, albiet played by other people? We definately will see a new cast of up and coming actors performing their own material.

I almost say it's too bad that Paul Rugg is working harder at Henson, since he's be perfect for this stuff. I could clearly see him do a Jerry Lewis type character. Or wacky foreigner.

But it looks that the cast and other details are top secret.
I get what your saying. I just thought maybe they would keep him being he was the boss or big man on the show. You get what i'm saying?

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I could clearly see him do a Jerry Lewis type character.
Mr. Director: Freunlaven! Nice kids that look like puppies! Flamiel!

Where are you nutty funnies just going?

Yakko: Jan Murray's house?

Mr. Director: You kids are going to be in my movie.

Warners: Movie?

Mr. Director: Who are you just looking at?

Wakko: The people watchin' on TV.

Mr. Director: Peoples? What peoples? *puts face into camera* HELLO NICE PEOPLE IN THE TV!

Indeed, Rugg is "a comedy genius" and oozes Muppet potential out the wazoo! :big_grin:

But by modernized, I hope you DO mean how the child psychologists and educators ruined kid's television by various, contradictory reports and studies.
That's exactly what I mean. We don't need anymore of people thinking they know what's best when what they think tends to suck! :stick_out_tongue:

Status
Not open for further replies.