Ask Ken at Palisades

ResidentLilly

Reaction score
A while back on the old board someone listed some Muppets and asked what the chances were of them being made as figures. I just wanted to know if any of the following have changed, or rather what their chances are now:
Marvin Suggs (I recall you saying you'd definitely be making him- insert disclaimer here- btw, would he come with 8 Muppaphones?)

Probable for '03. Would be a no-brainer.

Mahna Mahna (classic character, very popular around here, integral part of Muppet history and his sketch is well-known to even the most casual of fans)

He is not covered in our current contract, but you never know. He would certainly be a very difficult one, or I should cay challenging, from a production perspective. How do you get his torso just right? Or his hair for that matter? Would be interesting to try to work that out...

Uncle Deadly (like you said, you wanted to make some 'different looking' characters)

I've always liked the Uncle Deadly design. And as a fan favorite it would certainly be cool. Especially since he looks so radically different from the regular Muppet cast.

Any chance of having packs of Muppet 'extras' like background pigs, chickens, frogs, monsters, etc? I fully realize they wouldn't sell as individuals but having addt'l chorus members would up the play value I think.

Always a chance. But hard to do in that any second figure, even a non-articulated one, can drive your costs over budget in production. Would depend on the complexity of the pack-in. I actually have to sit down soon and go over plans for '03 with Mike and Mike and figure out what the line should really be in the second year, and that is on my mind.

One last thing: I know you said the stage playset is a while off now, which is good because then it doesn't have to be rushed. I'd like to know if you'd thought about making the back wall of the theater actually have the back wall of the theater (know what I'm talking about? Check the Steve Martin episode to see what I mean). I know the original plan was the arches, but since it's going to be the most accurate playset it's something to consider. One thing I'd love is to have some backgrounds that you can hang in front of the back wall (since not everything on the show was a regular sketch/took place in one of those playsets). That way you could stage your own musical numbers and have a set for them, and that'd be totally cool! There are a couple of staple backgrounds they used on the show: one was used often for short bits with the guest star in the first season and also for some UK Spots; another debuted on the Dom DeLuise episode (UK Spot "Henrietta's Wedding" and also closing #); and there's the 'big hall/archways' backdrop, yellow/gold in color (Marvin Suggs & All-Food Glee Club's "Yes We Have No Bananas" on the Steve Martin ep, "Any Old Iron" from the Elton John ep, Gonzo reciting Shakespeare while hanging from his nose by a feather boa in the Teresa Brewer ep). There are others, but these are the three that spring to mind first. The stage could have a back wall like the actual theater but you can hang different backdrops right in front of it. What does everyone else think of this idea?

I had watched the Steve Martin episode recently, which is where the vaudeville Statler and Waldorf comes from. I know what you mean about the stage wall and already figured it would be that with removable backdrops, arches, etc. You forgot two though that would be no-brainers. One, the huge Muppet Show logo board that in which Kermit introduces the opening number from the "O" and the Fozzie backdrop that they always used in his stand-up routines. My initial thought was to have the backdrops printed on cardboard and have "slots" where you can interchange them. That's early conception. We'll see when the actual designs get done but it would seem to make sense from a play value perspective.

Hey...can anyone take screen grabs from the show? There is some free swag in it if someone can contact me and I can give a few requests for still images. Also, remember how we were trying to figure out a good accessory for Scooter? Well, I have been looking for that "choice" Strangepork accessory too and have a few ideas but since I don't have all the eps yet I have a question for the group. Was there ever a droid or robot in Pigs in Space for an episode, ala Robot Rabbit? Something funky that I could use as a pack-in accessory for Julius?

Ken

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
David,

Hey,
I have a Playset theatre, And it has rows above the Stage so you can hang other backdrops for the right scene.

This is really easily done, All you need it about five rows ( bars ) above the stage and then put some clips or peg things in with the Playset so you can hang the Backdrops on it.

See ya

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Ken,

Hey man,
Whoa, Another pack in Muppet !!

but dont think there were any Droids in Pigs In Space, other than R2D2 and C3PO !

There was a Parrot and a Telephone booth, From the john Cleese episode !

I suppose this could be a spot were a Koozebain, Fazoob, Frackle or Muppet Monster could come into it ?

I think a Fazoob would be good, Or a Frackle, Say Blue Frackle ?

Oh and he has to come with his Ray Gun !

See ya

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Ken,

One last thing.

He could come with another Pig in the Pigs In Space costume.

There were other Members of the SwineTrek team, But they were background Pigs in the Space suits.

Whaddya think ?

See ya

Drtooth

Reaction score
Accessories for Scooter, you ask...
Have you considered coffee cups? He's a "Gofer" and usually when someone in the business world is given that name, he's the guys that brings the coffee. Or perhaps a boom mike. Maybe a transistor radio (which you can stick to his wrist, a refference to a line of his at the end of Great Muppet Caper) As for Julius Strangepork, have you considered a ray gun? I remember there was an episode in which Kermit was trapped in a suitcase (or trunk), and Miss Piggy said it was a alien robot thing, and Dr. Strangepork zaps it with a lazer beam! But I have a question! WIll the Glasses on Strangepork be removable, or glued (or attatched in some way) on? I have that problem with my Ned Flanders action figure, he keeps falling off the shelf, and his glasses end up behind the sofa!

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Strangepork Accessories

What about MAMA? from the Dudley Moore epi. It was a robot and it tormented Pigs in Space ('why does it always play the dumb music when I talk?'). It might be too big, but if you want a robot, that's the only one that comes to mind.

Strangepork is still getting the ray gun, right? Maybe he could have a drink with a straw (the first think he 'zapoed' and a frequent Muppet prop). He could also have any sort of brainy accessory-- thick books, weird invention (or weid invention parts). Or he could come with a iron and ironing board with which to annoy Piggy. (I know, not very exciting-- but so long as he has his ray gun I'll be happy.)

Joggy

Reaction score
Pigs In Space Accessoires

Another idea for Strangepork might be the Chopped Liver / Crab Nebula alien (different names, same creature). He looked like a moldy piece of foam rubber with arms and shades, and invaded the Swine Trek three times (Cloris Leachman, Roy Clark, Melissa Manchester episodes).

Other stuff, mostly from random Pigs In Space episodes:

Dissolvatron/Zappo Ray Gun (a must! Been mentioned many times...)
Outer Space drink (with straw)
A large book ("Identified Objects" or something - he often looks things up in this book)
A small computer
A dish of Swill Stroganoff
Intergalactical tools for repairing the ship
Rat In Space (Joan Baez episode)
Jar of Invisibility Pills (Cheryl Ladd episode)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Another idea for a Scooter excessory is a stack of comic books. I remember a screen grab from Muppets Take Manhattan, and ol' Scoot was reading several comics. (Iron man and the like) Mayhaps you can make parody comics or something. Or you could always have Scooter with a tabloid! I'm brain storming, and as soon as I think up some, I'll post them.

MrTheFrog

Reaction score
Dr.Tooth about Scooter..

I don't think Ken was asking for ideas for Scooter's accessories, he already asked that a while back, and they were decided on. I think what he was saying was- just like he needed our help with Scooter, he needs our help with Strangepork.
-Artie

Joggy

Reaction score
Earlier, over at the old board, we had a similar discussion about which accessoires were suitable for Scooter. It was our very own Smig who came up with a Dressing Room door. Yay Smiggy!!!

:big_grin: