debut years/ seasons of skits

minor muppetz

Reaction score
can anybody tell me what year or season that the following recurring skits first appeared on Sesame Street, and what the debut skits were?:

Sesame Street News (I have a feeling that the debut skit might be Rupunzel)

Super Grover

Monsterpiece Theatre (I have a feeling that the debut skit might be Me, Claudious)

Mysterious Theatre

Sneak Peek Previews

Ask Oscar

The Number Painter

Alphaquest

Miami Mice (I have a feeling that they are all from the same year)

I do know that the first Grover The Waiter skit is the alphabet soup one (unless Sesame Street Unpaved is wrong), and I think it is from 1971. I also know that the first Elmos World skit is the Balls one, and is from 1998.

TotallySpiesFan

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Sesame Street News (I have a feeling that the debut skit might be Rapunzel)
minor muppetz said:
Super Grover
minor muppetz said:
Monsterpiece Theatre (I have a feeling that the debut skit might be Me, Claudius)
minor muppetz said:
Mysterious Theatre
minor muppetz said:
Sneak Peek Previews
minor muppetz said:
Ask Oscar
minor muppetz said:
The Number Painter
minor muppetz said:
Alphaquest
minor muppetz said:
Miami Mice (I have a feeling that they are all from the same year)

Censored

Reaction score
The number painter debuted way before 1981. It was from the 70's.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Actually, Totally Spies Fan put 1970 as the date for the number painter. If you look at the first on the list he put the date after the quote, not before. But with such a long list I can see how it looked like he might have meant 1981 for the number painter instead. :smile:
And good to see you, GeeBee!

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that the Number Painter skits didn't debut until 1972.

None of the Noggin shows have them until 1972, but I could be wrong.

Ziffel

Reaction score
That may be the case. A while ago I posted that IMDB lists the number painter segments as 1969-1974. This was in the Paul Benedict thread. Mikebennidict also pointed out about the SS unpaved and 1972. And he also thinks the IMDB info could be in error:

mikebennidict said:
well i know they go as far back as 1972 because 1 of the SSU episodes had the 4 film in 1 of there 1972 shows though i don't think it he was painting from those dtaes i highly doubt it took 5 years to make all of those films and i get a feeling they might of been done i 1 day. if you remember all of the outdoor films wewre done on a rather cloudy day. if they weren't done in 1 day maybe in a few days.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
boy I gotta check my spelling. I visit many sites at 1 time and it get's bewildering. but we know they at least go back to 72 if not before.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I would assume that all of the number painter skits were produced in the same year. Usually, whenever there is a recurring series of non-muppet films (especially ones involving letters or numbers) on Sesame Street, all segments are normally produced and aired in one year. After all, we know that all of the Baker and jazzy Spies films were from the first season, with no new segments (for numbers higher than 10) produced after those.

I remember seeing a Number Painter film in the Sesame Street Unpaved television special. I can't remember what the film was about or which number was the focus of the skit, but I beleive that an original air date appeared on-screen, although sadly I cannot remember what year it was listed from.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Monsterpiece Theatre actually goes back to about 1977 or so, and the first installment was "Upstairs, Downstairs" with Grover going up and down the stairs until he collapses from exhaustion.