MFS-disappointment!

MWoO

Reaction score
That Announcer said:
Here's my pros & cons of MFS:

THE PROS:

-Great character recasts.
-The reappearance of Beau, albeit as a background character.
-Dave's wonderful Chef, which is leagues ahead of what Bill Barretta does.
-A hilarious cameo appearance by Kathy Griffin.
-Bobo has a big role, which is nice for the Muppets' funniest-ever bear.
-Pepe's role was smaller then than it is now.
-Bunsen and Beaker have a perfectly sized part.
-Frank. 'Nuff said.
-That opening scene where Sam's doing the workout with the chickens.

THE CONS:

-No Muppet singing.
-Lots of Animal, Fozzie and Piggy, but very, very little Sam. WHY?
-A disappointing ending.
-I never really liked Gonzo...
-

What recasts were done for this movie that were not done before it?

Sam probably didn't have a large part because he wasn't needed. In fact he really doesn;t have a part in the movies. He had a smaller part at the start of TMM and some lines in GMC and only a cameo in MTM. In MCC he had a fair size role, just as big as Fozzie's anyway, and he was really used well in MTI, but that is not the norm for Sam and movies.

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
i loved it but the ending was to fast and we nneded just one new muppet song

Drtooth

Reaction score
Personally, I was never disappointed with MFS. Even after hearing that it could have been MUUUUUCH better. The original ending and Travelling Matt (who was supposed to be in the movie, and was in one of the scripts) may have made it much better, in my opinion, but it's still a decent movie.

Unlike Christams Carol, Oz, or Treasure Island the Muppets were actually the stars of the film, not Tim Curry, Not Michael Cain, Not Ashanti, not even the kid who played a very girly Jim hawkins (though, at least Tim and Mikey were a joy to watch, unlike the other 2). MCC is one of my least favorite (tied with OZ) of the films, because... well... it doesn't even seem like a Muppet movie. Seems more like a creatureshop movie with Muppet guest stars. Plus, I didn't like how it was more slanted to human stars than Muppets. I mean, Kermit was a secondary character... and that was the best Muppet part. If it wasn't for Gonzo and Rizzo's patter, you could easily forget the Muppets were even in it. Plus that "the love is gone" number dragged on very long.
Treasure Island and (as much as I'd hate to admit it) Oz had a better Muppet to Human ration, dispite the fact they still didn't have the big starring roles.

But with MFS, it was all about Gonzo. He was in the begining, he was at the end. Though Jeffery Tambor did kind of try to steal the spotlight. Out of all the new era Muppet movies, it is my favorite, though still a far cry from TMM.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Muppets From Space a disappointment? I should say not! It's one of my favorite muppet movies of all time! Very original, entertaining, and a look at Gonzo's origin for the first time. However, didn't Jim Henson once say Gonzo was intended to be just another monster?

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
... and Travelling Matt (who was supposed to be in the movie, and was in one of the scripts)...
Really!? Oh man that woulda' been so cool!!!

I strongly agree with DrTooth on every point.

That Announcer said:
Dave actually wanted to use the re-recording of "I'm Going To Go Back There Someday" in the film, but from what I understand, Tim Hill vetoed it.
It was actually recorded to a lame light dance beat, kinda' like a single from a 90's band that never made it out of the garage, absolutely pitiful compared to the original although Dave's vocals have improved so much over the years. It was never released until the "Muppets 25 Years" CD was released through Rhino. I believe it is the last track on the CD.

DerekJ said:
...Frank Oz upset over director Tim Hill and Brian's management, and writer Jerry Juhl retiring.
Maybe not the appropriate thread to discuss this, but I always wondered if Frank approved of the way the Muppets handled themselves after Jim's death. I knew he was involved with directing long before this, but complained that being associated with the Muppets made getting directing work difficult, but I always felt that maybe even just a small part of his slowly becoming more and more uninvolved was due to a decline in the quality of the Muppets.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
It was actually recorded to a lame light dance beat, kinda' like a single from a 90's band that never made it out of the garage, absolutely pitiful compared to the original although Dave's vocals have improved so much over the years. It was never released until the "Muppets 25 Years" CD was released through Rhino. I believe it is the last track on the CD.
You didn't like it? I thought this song was almost as touching as the original, ok, not quite so. But definatly worth having in the movie. I thought it was a cool modernisation of a Muppet Song. Not like that new Rainbow Connection I vaguely recall...

Beauregard

Reaction score
*frowns thinking he's sure he heard one in KSY*

Did I make it up in some deluded part of my sad mind? Or have I heard this...isn't it inteh credits???

Harvey Towers

Reaction score
Yes it there is a version of "Rainbow Connection" in the credits - I'm almost certain that it is the same version someone posted a link here for once.

I expect I still have the file somewhere if anyone wants it.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Ahh, that's why... I NEVER MADE IT TO THE END CREDITS! HA!