Getting Past the "Sneezing Secretary"

Convincing John

Reaction score
Hey, folks. Got a poser for you all.

I was just talking to the secretary of Mel Brooks a few hours ago. To really understand what I'm talking about please click on the following link:

http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=14779

Well, anyway, she said "Mr. Brooks is very particular about such things, and he probably wouldn't approve, and Anne Bancroft (Mel's wife) would feel exactly the same way."

And I said..."Hmmm...."

"Well," continued the secretary, "I've worked for him for 25 years, and I'm almost sure he wouldn't approve...so we ask, please don't use them."

And so, I politely ended the conversation and hung up. Now here's the weird part...and where I will reveal more of what I'm doing. Folks, I've decided to make another piece of art to help another Gilda's Club affiliate...and it was to star Mel Brooks, Anne Bancroft, et al.

Now it sounds to me like Mel never read my letter, but it was just skimmed briefly by the secretary and tossed in the trash like a Manhattan Melodies script.

And what really puts greaseberry seeds in my goomba soup is that Mel Brooks was a good friend of Gilda's...Anne Bancroft, too. And at this time, I'd like you to take a look at this link (and scroll down a ways when you get there...)

http://www.gildasclubnyc.org/about/board.html

Uh huh.

Now for those of you who have bumped into one of those "sneezing secretaries" (Muppet Movie reference here, folks), that little barrier between you and whoever you're trying to contact, how have you dealt with it? I myself am thinking about writing a letter to the above link and perhaps getting Mel's and Anne's attention that way. I'd hate to leave them out of the picture, being good friends of Gilda's and all.

What do you guys think? And what are your experiences with any walls you've hit when trying to contact your favorite celebrities?

Convincing John

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I've had one or 2 bad experiences with receptionists, but not any secretaries yet.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Muppetsdownunder said:
I've had one or 2 bad experiences with receptionists, but not any secretaries yet.
WOCKA WOCKA! (Did you intend to make that joke?)

From the list of the Gilda link above, I was shocked to see this:
Joan Rivers
William Sarnoff
Joel Siegel
Marlo Thomas
Vanna White
Alan & Robin Zweibel
VANNA WHITE?? Was she a friend of Gilda's, too, or just joined in??

Anyways, I've tried for years to gain autographs of Steve Martin and Bill Murray, and neither of them will respond. I've written a letter to one of Bill's brothers (the one in the movies), and tried writing to his agent, all this years ago, and finally quit. He's not going to respond. Steve Martin, while he wont' respond via mail, will give you a business card that states you have met him and found him intriguing but no autographs. Finally, I think some celebrities are just out of bounds for their fans to contact them.

However, I say continue to push forward and see what happens. After enough letters, you may get through. Heck, you might even try writing them through the Gilda organization instead. I'm sure they'll read a letter from there. If it's a piece to benefit the organization, why not contact the Organization president? I'm sure they have had some dealings with Mel Brooks et al.

Convincing John

Reaction score
Thanks!

Alan Zweibel was a good friend of Gilda's and wrote the book "Bunny, Bunny", which is about Gilda and Alan.

I don't know about Vanna White, but I might have a theory about how Joan Rivers got on there, but this is just a guess:

Gene Wilder (Gilda's husband) did voice work on "The Electric Company". He played a character called Letterman. Joan Rivers narrated these segments. So, maybe that's how Joan got connected with Gene. Don't quote me on this, though.

This secretary thing really bugs me. With Lucille Ball's kids, it was different. The Lucy folks kind "please don't use their images at the request of the family." is one thing. Lucy's kids read my letter, thought it over, and politely declined. I respect that. That's fine.

But some secretary saying "I don't think he'd like it, and I don't think his wife'd like it either..." is something quite different. How frustrating! (Insert Yosemite Sam jumping a foot in the air, shaking his fits and going "oooh!" here).

Thanks for your tips, Fozzie. I'm going to write to the main folks at the Gilda headquarters and see what happens. As Kermit said "I may not be one of those fancy, Hollywood frogs, but I deserve a chance!":smile:

Convincing John

Convincing John

Reaction score
:smile: "Aha!" (turns on fan as fur and feathers fly)

"Achhooo! Achooo!"

:embarrassed: "Allergies are nothing to sneeze at."

:sympathy: "I'm allergic to cats, myself."

BZZZZZ!!!

Kermit: "Thanks a lot for your help, miss."

Well, I got past her! I asked a second opinion (quite a reliable source) and he said not to worry about it, and to go ahead and keep Mel Brooks and Anne Bancroft in the picture!!!

YAY!!!

And so progress continues and the project will (or should be) done by around Christmas time.

Convincing John

McFraggle

Reaction score
That's good to hear the project is coming along good. :smile:

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Glad to see someone brought up Gilda's/Alan's book "Bunny Bunny",I found that a long time ago,a little after I bought her book.It's a very good read. I've never personally had to deal with 'sneezing secretaries',or any receptionist yet for that matter,thank goodness(I don't think the ones at doctor offices or auto service shops count all that much).