Fraggle Reunion

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
RugbyTiger said:
The second, and this is only from memory (i was about 7, but I'm 95% sure) was Simon O' Brien, an actor who has been in British soap Brookside. He didn't stick around either. I definitely remember an episode with the arrival of another keeper, a much younger scottish guy I think (light ginger hair sticks in my head for some reason). They must have had to change that episode's plot substantially from the US version to fit some sort of continuity in.
MuppetDanny tells me the third season (UK) began with "Born To Wander", which featured the debut of John Gordon Sinclair as the Captain's nephew and Principal Keeper (P.K.) of the lighthouse. I've seen the UK version, and from what it looks like, P.K. and Sprocket didn't get off to a very good start.

RugbyTiger said:
I've absolutely no idea if this third guy finished the 96 eps out or whether he changed again, but I DO know they completed showing them in the UK - I was researching from my dissertation at the British Film Institute library and I saw listings for the final batch of episodes (definitely change of address, the honk of honks..) in their tape library catalouge, taped off british tv (itv). The date was 1989/1990 and they are available for screening if anybody has the time and small amount of money to book a private video screening session.
WOW! These I've got to see. Thanks RugbyTiger!

Do you mean to say the UK series ended in 1989/1990? If that were the case, the filming for Fraggle Rock would not have stopped at "Fraggles Look For Jobs" ... but wait, what about the Virgin video release catalogue? The Doc versions are featured on those.

Luke

Reaction score
RugbyTiger said:
I was researching from my dissertation at the British Film Institute library and I saw listings for the final batch of episodes (definitely change of address, the honk of honks..) in their tape library catalouge, taped off british tv (itv). The date was 1989/1990 and they are available for screening if anybody has the time and small amount of money to book a private video screening session. I didn't at the time and now my membership has lapsed, but I think this would definitely answer our questions! (there's bound to be ton of other muppety goodness to make it worthwhile joining)
Maybe we could all get together and pay for a screening ? I think i'd be in !

Marble Didymus

Reaction score
Gearard Parkes (I think I spelled that right) is still alive, but for how long is anyone's guess, considering all the people in Hollywood dropping dead at the fall of a hat. No one would be able to replace him.

ScrapsFlippy

Reaction score
Warrick said:
Hehe, I wish !
And if i had the money to back a Fraggle project, I WOULD !
Here's a totally insane idea.

Why not set up a non-profit org with the express purpose of producing new eps of Fraggle Rock? Accept charitable donations from all around the world (since FR was an international sensation.) Once a sufficient level of capital has been raised (what, $50 million? $75 million?) the non-profit org, let's call it "Project World Peace Through Fraggles" essentially hires JHC to produce the new series. The new series is shopped around to distributors, and voila, everyone is happy, the Rock is restored, and peace on earth is obtained.

(Heck. There are 6 billion inhabitants on this rock. If only a tenth of 1 percent of the population each donated a buck, we could have new eps on the air by fall.)

So ... any attorneys out there familiar with NPO law willing to set up "Project World Peace Through Fraggles" on a pro bono basis? Anyone with business experience willing to chair it? Any one of the 3,000 or so members of this forum out there willing to pass the cup around?

I mean, it's an insane idea. But in all seriousness, if we really wanted to see this series brought back, now, at a time when the world really needs to learn to get along, we could do it with nothing more than our agreement that it should be done.

Well, just a thought anyways.

-- Scraps :excited:

PukkaPukka

Reaction score
Great thoughts, Scraps...wouldn't mind that myself!

Few problems though:

Well, firstly, it would be shaky as to whether or not the Jim Henson Company would be all for the project. It [Fraggle] in their mind, would have to be able to be conceivable to last long enough to generate a profit (our proposed NFP company would indeed be NFP, but in hiring the JHC, a lot more parameters would go into the deal). Plus, crews would be different, there's having to do new lip assignments, re-casting of old roles, getting dedicated write-staff to work on the project from Henson (and therefore, time constraints would be a further issue). However, a totally new show in the spirit of Fraggle - that would be something. We've all been enlightened by the Rock, but to go from there and create a new show having the same spirit would really be something. Hmm...I guess I figure by now it has run its course for a new series. It could pop up again in the future to varying degrees, but then again, I'm not involved with the JHC - I'm just trying to look at this from a reasonability standard. It'd be highly irregular that a) they'd re-make Fraggle (again) or b) sign-on with an external NFP for a remake....but I would jump for joy if they did. You can be sure of that.

>Adam

ScrapsFlippy

Reaction score
Well, I did say it was a totally insane idea. :stick_out_tongue:

I just saw this documentary the other day about Terry Gilliam called "Lost in La Mancha." And I found my self thinking as I watched "you know, it's a shame artists have to work within the confines of economics." I fantasized about how cool it would be to be in a position to write a check to Terry Gilliam for $40 Mil and say "here - you've entertained me many times and have thus enriched my life. Make your Don Quixote film. I really want to see it."

It seems to me that the biggest consideration is the money. No one seems to think it's a worthwhile investment to so much as release the whole series on DVD - at a time when the "Simple Life" is on DVD days after the show ends off. (Although in all fairness, I understand from another thread that some sort of FR release is in the works.)

What I suggest is simply bypassing the traditional economics of bringing something like FR to the small screen (or heck, why not the silver screen?) I'm suggesting that the large body of FR fans should write a check to JHC.

As for whether or not it's reasonable - to quote the Frog, "what the hey." Who cares. It's probably perfectly unreasonable. That doesn't mean it shouldn't or couldn't happen.

Would JHC agree to do it? Well, why not? "Here's $50 million. Go nuts. Here's work for your Creature Shop, your writers, your performers, etc. Here's an investment in the future of your company." $50 million at a time when they're downsizing and closing down offices worldwide? Heck, it's gotta beat doing Denny's commercials.

-- Scraps

curiosfish

Reaction score
awesome

that would be aweosme if they had fraggle rock specials, i would no doubt watch them :smile: :stick_out_tongue: :excited:

Gobo_Tron2

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more with wishing I could float the bill for Henson to do more work on Fraggle. I've fantasized about that for a number of years and am just still waiting for my pot of gold to come in. :embarrassed:

And though I'm not happy that Disney has now separated the Muppets from Henson, I'm almost ashamed to say that maybe the transaction will give Fraggle Rock the financial leverage it needs.

Dash X

Reaction score
I have the final few UK eps on vid (Gorg who would be King, Honk of Honks, Change of Address) and they featured Simon O' Brian as the lighthouse guy who, as the story goes, was being replaced by a computer controlled system

Gobo_Tron2

Reaction score
Ok in the states, Doc had to leave to be with his friend, so does this mean was there no Ned Schimmelfinney in any of the UK Doc scenes?