Very Merry Muppet DVD Observations

CousinLuke

Reaction score
I just got the DVD and the first thing I noticed was the muppets were rated PG !:eek: for mild thematic elements :confused: Being one who hates Sams new voice, I have too say it is okay in the deleted Moulin Scrooge scene :attitude: . You get more Buff Beaker I have not seen all of the features but what I have seen are hillarious. Anyone else have something to say?

CousinLuke

Reaction score
Some more observations:

The movie should be in widescreen. :mad: All the deleated sceens are in widescreen. In the Inside Pepe's Studio making of feture (very funny by the way), all the clips are in widescreeen. Unless the director wants it in "Standard" or "Full-Screen", these should be in widescreen.

The ending is the butchered version. When it cuts to the fozzie solo (wich is short) it goes black. At least we get the whole song :smile:

The picture is much better than the DVD version.

Gonzo's favorite CD is Straight Outta Cannon. I always thought Kermit would be more into Hip-Hop. :boo:

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is just my opinion but I think they went with the fullscreen release to save money/time verses releasing the widescreen transfer. It's a real shame. But it does pave the way a few years from now for a widescreen release.

By the way, we are needing reviews of the "Very Merry Muppet Christmas" DVD for Muppet Central. If you have the disc, check out this link for more info and how you can submit your review to be archived on the site.

http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=10221

turlem

Reaction score
can someon scan the vet's hospital pic? i won't get the dvd til another couple of days

Super Scooter

Reaction score
CousinLuke said:
I just got the DVD and the first thing I noticed was the muppets were rated PG !:eek: for mild thematic elements :confused:
Actually, I think this is a very good thing for the Muppets. If someone were to casually pick it up while browsing through the DVD section in a store, and see thast the Muppets have a PG rating, they're going to think, "Hmmmm. Maybe there's more to the Muppets that would be appealing to adults than I thought." I don't know why people assume things appealing to adults need to have a higher rating, but that's the way things go.

CousinLuke

Reaction score
I wasn't saying the rating was bad, I was just wondering what "mild thematic elements" meant. In addition, most people who would think a higher rating would be good wouldn't notice because they wouldn't pick up the DVD. I also don't think a PG would persuade them that it was any better. (I belive another Henson picture "Good Boy" is PG). For a muppet movie's rating to matter it would have to be PG-13. Too bad it isn't easy to find the DVD, I had to go to Blockbuster. Maybe it is better in other cities.

WiGgY

Reaction score
I hope I find the DVD at Suncoast. If not, it's online for me.

What do you mean by, "The picture is much better than the DVD version."?

I was hoping for a wide screen release. Frankly I don't know why it was shot in wide screen if the DVD didn't use it. What was the point?

I think the PG rating comes from Howard the gay pig, the club scene, Pepe saying the word sexy and other stupid reasons. Personally, I was hoping to see ALL the deleted scenes. Like the one with the EM and Snoop and the other EM scene as irish dancers.

CousinLuke

Reaction score
What do you mean by, "The picture is much better than the DVD version."?
oops. I ment the DVD's picture is better than the TV picture. Sorry.

I think Thematic Elements might mean the semi-depressing Kermit story until the end (for instance: pick-pocket fozzie and sad, poor gonzo). I would think that it was PG for the more "edgy" humor except it doen't mention that like it normaly would in the ratings reasons (for instance, Shrek was rated PG for "mild language and some crude humor").

Reaction score
Where did you get your copy off Its a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie on dvd? Our WalMart wont have it until the end of this month! Talk about a nightmare!!

Drtooth

Reaction score
PG means nothing now a days. it seems like more of a marketing standpoint.

HOWEVER... I do agree that if the rating is PG, more people will respect it, since bratty kids think G means "Baby Movies" (What I can't stand with kids is they throw around the word "Baby" movie or show, and watch juvenile crap anyway)

The Snoopdog thing is a dissappointment. We have only religious zealots and a bunch of idiot parental groups (remember Patte E?) to blame... either that or they didn't want to pay Snoop extra.

Anyway, I look vry forward to getting a DVD player for this, as well as the Best of Muppets Ed Sulivan disk!