Fraggle Reunion

fragglerockr

Reaction score
Fraggles etc...

Well I for one wouldn't mind some sort of Fraggle Reunion either. It would be cool if they were able to produce a special or some kind of new show, although I know the latter is highly unlikely. Heck, I'd be happy if we could the series to DVD and maybe guests apperances by the Fraggles at Muppetfest II (hint hint Henson folk!!!).

As far as the cost of the replacing the puppets, I think $2,000- 6,000 per puppet that was mentioned is a little unrealistic! Unless of course, your paying someone about $100.00 an hour for labor. You have to remeber Henson is a business and therefore get things like foam, and fleece at wholesale prices. Terry Angus, who builds puppets very similar in style, and sells them on Ebay, would lose his shirt if that were the case. So would David Pannabecker.

Realistically, without labor they probably cost several hundred. I'm guessing anywhere between 4-8. Depending on complexity of design and difficulty to locate materials. By the time you factor in labor it would be a bit pricey! Plus think of how many background characters are built. If it were that expensive (per character) they could only afford one or two puppets per show. That would blow the production budget!!!

Also, I really don't think the patterns being available is a problem. Henson archives things very well. I seriously doubt they would save sets and throw the patterns away. Even if they did the designers at Henson are some of the best in the buisness. I'd imagine they'd have no problem re-building almost any character if the need arose.

I envision all the Henson puppet patterns locked away in a safe with the top Secret recipe to Coke and the 11 herbs and spices of KFC! Right next to them would be the photos of Area 51 and the actual address that Elvis is living at. Hahahahahahaha!!!!

Fragglerockr

:excited:

ToastCrumbs

Reaction score
FRAGGLE ROCK PUPPETS/PATTERNS

:smile: First of all let me start off by letting you all know that the patterns to all the Fraggles are in a safe place. The problem with most of the puppets that were built for Fraggle Rock are that they are twenty years old. Most of them need to be completely rebuilt. Unfortunetly the interior foam heads and bodies are all for the most part crumbs. This is what happens with time. I've seen the condition of some of the principal characters and they all need there insides rebuilt. The reason why the Fraggles were so expressive is due to the fact that the sheet foam used to patteren the heads was pretty thin stuff, allowing for so much of the flexability in the face. The thinner the foam the quicker it tends to go with use.
Not to worry, the outside fleece skin and eyes and hair are all fine they just need work on the inside. This wouldn't take any of the Henson builders too much time to refurb the puppets into beautiful workin' condition again. This is just part of puppet building and the life of a puppet. The good thing is that it wouldn't cost anywhere as much as completely rebuilding the characters. Puppet builders and puppeteers like to always keep some of the original puppet intact even when things get replaced for sentimental reasons and also because in a way a puppet is alot like your favorite baseball glove, once you break it in to your hand it fits so wonderful that you never what to start all over. It's never the same no matter what you try and do.
There is always talk about bringing back the Fraggles in some way. We all love them. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some little things start to happen. The action figure thing is something I'm starting to hear a liitle about and it sounds promising. We'll see, keep all of your fingers crossed.
Oh, one more thing, just because we puppet builders always have a chuckle when people who want professional puppets built hear how much they cost. Muppets do not look the way they do by accident, they take on the average a good solid four to five weeks to build. You see it's all about the hours involed. If you're not willing to glue strands of ostrich feathers one at a time then you're going to have to pay someone to do so. This is what makes them expensive, they are all basically made from scratch. I've said it once and I'll say it again, I have seen many Muppet lookin' puppets. The word is "MUPPET LOOKIN'", we all know what materials are used to make the puppets so to duplicate what a Muppet looks like on the outside is not that hard. It's what's inside that makes it count and that's were all the talented Muppet builders at Henson come in. Remember a great lookin puppet that doesn't funtion properly is nothing more than a sculpture, so put it in the corner of your room and enjoy looking at it...lol. Please, the last thing you want to do is loose your money by paying someone to build you a puppet that you think is going to function in the same way as a Muppet. You'll just get frustrated. You need to know what to look for in a good puppet. Most of you guys are better off researching and building it yourself, believe me most people arent going to put the time and love needed into the type of puppet you'd like to have. Just have fun with the puppet building aspect of it, this is how you'll learn in the end. Just for the record, any Muppet (hand puppet) such as SESAME, FRAGGLE OR MUPPET starts out at around 2,500-5,000, that's just what they cost. Those of you who have that kinda money wouldn't have any trouble finding someone who works as a proffesional puppet builder to build you exactly what you want. If you're payin', that's what you should get. Alright, I think I've typed enough for today. Just remember guys, always have fun with what you are doing and Happy Puppet Building To All!!!!! :excited: :smirk: :big_grin: :wink:

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
ToastCrumbs,

Thanks for posting!

Do you work at Henson's now ?

Im keeping my Fingers, Toes and Tail crossed !

What you've said sounds promising.

Just a thought, What condition are Marjory The Trash Heap and the Gorgs in ?

I knew that the outsides of the Puppets had to still be in good order, It was just impossible for all the puppet to have gone.

Thanks

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah it all looks much more positive now. Great to have some better information - thanks Toastcrumbs !

ButchCat

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm not much of a typer and I do find that it takes me a long time to write a letter but I figured that I'd respond to this post.

First of fragglerockr had in his letter:

As far as the cost of the replacing the puppets, I think $2,000- 6,000 per puppet that was mentioned is a little unrealistic! Unless of course, your paying someone about $100.00 an hour for labor. You have to remeber Henson is a business and therefore get things like foam, and fleece at wholesale prices. Terry Angus, who builds puppets very similar in style, and sells them on Ebay, would lose his shirt if that were the case. So would David Pannabecker.
Sadly yes Fraggles cost around $1500.00 to build and yes it has to do with the Foam, Antron Fleece and the ostrich feathers but the biggest cost factor is in the Labor. Yes ToastCrumbs is right about the fact that it takes hours to hot glue in groups of four or five feathers in at a time. Not only that the main Fraggle Five's Antron Fleece is hand sewn and that's because they got more camera time than the background Fraggles like Morris got although Morris's head was hand sewn too.

Any budget that I do I charge 20 to $25.00 an hour and as it's been said it takes anywhere from Five days to two weeks to make a puppet like the Fraggles. This depends on what goes into them. The puppets I make for ebay I try to keep the cost down but in most cases it's impossable to do.

Am I losing my shirt? Sadly yes I have been. This is why I haven't been building them for ebay lately. Plus I had to take a break from it as I think I was burning out from all the building and not getting much in return for it. I have been trying to decide if I'll keep building them for ebay or not. Well I think that's it for now.

Take care all

Terry Angus

Say who is ToastCrumbs anyway? thanks for your support

Sir Didymus

Reaction score
That's very interesting stuff! Thanks ButchCat and Toastcrumbs!
I do agree on the Labor part. Hand sewing can KILL your back if your not in a comfortable position.

Jake

fragglerockr

Reaction score
Hey guys....thanks for clearing that up. Yeah about $1,500 - 2,000 sounds right by the time you factor in all the labor and man hours that go into assembly.

What I meant was minus labor costs. Someone on here mentioned $6,000 a piece. Doozers, on the other hand, could quite relastically start at $10,000 a piece with servos and RC controls. Heck a small flocking gun costs $500 just to make 'em fuzzy!!! Hehehehehe!!!

Hopefully, someone will restore the puppets back to decent order so we can at least catch glimpses of them in other projects.

Fragglerockr

Foodie

Reaction score
Re: FRAGGLE ROCK PUPPETS/PATTERNS

Originally posted by ToastCrumbs
First of all let me start off by letting you all know that the patterns to all the Fraggles are in a safe place. The problem with most of the puppets that were built for Fraggle Rock a..............get. Alright, I think I've typed enough for today. Just remember guys, always have fun with what you are doing and Happy Puppet Building To All!!!!!
Wow! That is great news to hear. I've always wondered what the status of the original fraggle Muppets was like. Jeez, if they sold fraggle puppets for like 1500.00, I could prolly stick one on my credit card. * drools at the thought of his own Gobo *

I'm really hopin' for some new fraggle stuff in the future too. I need more in the old collection. Thanks for that post Toastcrumbs!

Nick:smirk:

spazyk

Reaction score
I know all you Fraggle Fans would prolly disagree with me on this but I would not mind seeing a Fraggle rock movie as in the theaters. I think this would be cool. Have it continue from the last puppet episode of Fraggle Rock "Change Of Address"... I LOve the old show But I would LOVE to see some new stuff with the Fraggles... Times change and kids have to deal with new sisuations (SP) So I think More Fraggle Rock but updated to 2003 family values... Don't get me wrong the old show has Excellent Morals and values and stuff but seeing new ones would be nice.