Chemical Dependency No More

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Hi, all,

One of our members has a very important story to share, and I support this post as it could be a means of healing for others in our MC family.

The trials and tribulations in life are always pounding away at our doors and to know someone has treaded that unsafe zone and came safely home again is a great feat indeed, and I am very proud of this member.

He will post here himself soon, and I expect that everyone will have a renewed respect for him and, if anyone is suffering the same problems, can find an inspiration to get help for themselves.

Let's cheer on our good friend in his new clean life! It's a big deal, and we need to also remember to be there for one another when times like this arise.

Thanks,
Kev
Mod

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
You get a cheer from me! Without going into specifics I have also dealt with many addictions. I applaud anyone making such efforts to fight these toxic patterns and substances that diminish our unique potential. It's not easy, but you've got my support! :smile:

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Thanks, Kev. You have been a HUGE help and I just want to publicly say "Thank You".

Dear MC Family;

I have decided to share with you a deep, dark and personal secret in the hopes that I might help or inspire others with similar hardships, to find hope and happiness. I am not proud of the decisions I made to get to this point, however I am thankful for the lessons they've taught me and the accomplishments I've made since.

For over two years, I was addicted to drugs. I would get intoxicated every night on pain medication. I was not the stereotypical image you'd perceive a drug addict to be. I have a successful job, a devoted wife, a loving family, a nice home in a safe neighborhood. I was raised by wonderful parents and in a church with a large and loving extended family. For those very reasons, I believed I was incapable of any such addictions. I managed to make it through my entire school career never drinking or smoking. It took a licensed medical professional to carelessly push me aside and tell me drugs was the simple answer.

Now please don't think I am blaming someone else for my problem. I take full responsibility for my actions. My point though is that it's easy to convince yourself that it's okay to take certain narcotics because a doctor says it is as opposed to some pusher, buy them with medical insurance instead of cash you've hidden from a loved one, or picked up in a well-lit cookie-cutter pharmacy than some dirty back alley. I tell you today that it is no different and there is no excuse. However, if this is something you are concerned about and your physician seems too nonchalant about prescribing pain meds, remember you have the right to a second opinion.

I can proudly say that I am clean and sober now for two months. A short amount of time that has taken a long time to achieve. Thankfully, what my body went through with withdrawal during detox was relatively light. When you take that into consideration, one of the hardest things to do in life was not quit drugs, but the decision to quit. I came to the realization that I was just so unhappy in life. I'm a happy-go-lucky person typically, and here I found myself always tired, always so sad, and giving a "why me?" attitude. I knew I had to quit, just so I could be happy again, just so I could be me. I was fortunate enough to have that epiphany one day out of the clear blue. My "Ah ha!" moment, if you will.

I share this with you because chemical dependency on prescription drugs is a very common disease. There are many people who are everyday normal people that have this problem, people you may never think because they seem to "have it all together", maybe even some Muppet fans. :smile:

I am so much happier and healthier now. I want to share that hope and inspiration with you. If there is anyone who needs to talk about a problem they may be dealing with that relates to this, I'd be happy to speak with you. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have as well.

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Wow...it must have taken a lot of courage to post that, Dave.

We're behind you all the way.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I am so happy for you Dave. Medication can soften life's edges, but it also dulls all of the colorful bits into a gray mush. I am glad you decided that didn't fit your life or incredible creativity. It's always a misconception that substance abuse of any kind can make one more creative. It doesn't. Again, just very happy for you. If there's anything I can do to help just ask. :super:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Man, you're a brave one. That's one of the hardest things anyone can ever do. I'm glad to know you've quit!

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Wow, that truly is inspiring, not only that you had the power to quit, but also, like Erin said, that you had the courage and strength to tell your story here. And although I thankfully have never had any adictions to overcome, I know that two months can be iindeed seem like a long time when trying to change a habit. Congradulations Dave! Well done!

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Glad you were able to turn things around and make them better for yourself! Congratulations, Vick!:smile:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Dave, man... again, you never cease to amaze me. This is the bravest thing I've ever seen someone admit to and I think you're incredible for it. Not only did you demonstrate bravery in telling us--strangers, man! But you had the bravery to quit. That's what makes you so great, Dave. You had the drive and tenacity to quit, something that so many people can't even think of doing.

I know so many people who are idiotic enough to binge drink/smoke in their high school years... and this post is just so inspiring. Thank you for sharing this with us, Dave. I know it wasn't easy for you to do, but I'm so grateful that you thought it was okay to share it with us. That means a heap.

If there's ever anything I, a lowly 18 year-old almost-college student can ever do for you, my friend... you know my e-mail!

Katzi428

Reaction score
Dave.....as the others said it took a lot for you to tell us about what you went through. In my opinion you're a hero for sharing. Thank you.:smile: