Dreadlocks

gfarkwort

Reaction score
I'm going to build a Puppet I designed with dreadlocks and I like planning

before construction......the locks are what is holding me back. I was thinking

about making the locks out of foam and covering them with felt like clifford.

But I also thought of buying locks of hair from sallys or something and

dreading them like real dreadlocks....and I looked up how...but I dont know

any suggesttions?

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
I built one for a customer recently that required the same styled hair. I was able to find a wig easily at a local shop that rents costumes and such year round.

Take a look in your yellow pages and give a few a call to see if they carry wigs for sale in addition to costume rentals.... most do. I spent about $20 for mine.

Even if the wig is too big, they have a weave style cap that can be cut if your careful to do it from underneith and pay attention to the "grain" of the hair wefts.

Hope that helps! :wink:
-Michele

If you can't find one local, the shop near me still has them. If you want, send me a direct e-mail and we can work it out so I can send one to you.... priority mail in a flat rate envelope is only about $4

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
gfarkwort said:

any suggesttions?
well cliffords arnt made of foam or felt, they are horse hair tubing , wrapped in a mix of yarn, and long strands of fake "hair" from hair tech,

be warned his dreadlocks though very light weight, add a lot of wieght to the finnished puppet

Convincing John

Reaction score
Maybe your local Wal-Mart would have something...

gfarkwort said:

any suggesttions?
I'm not sure of the kind of dreadlocks you need, but I am currently planning to build a puppet that has dreadlocks, and (as Roosevelt Franklin Would say) "I looked around, and here's what I found":

I went to my local Wal-Mart one day to the fabric department (lookin' for fur fabric), when I noticed a big display of all kinds of zippers, buttons, patterns, tassels, stuff like that. They also had a lot of kinds of ribbons on spools.

Now, one of the spools had this "dreadlock rope" I call it. It's black, woven like rope, and is about medium dreadlock thickness (kind of like Whoopi Goldberg's dreadlocks). It fits the bill for my puppet very well. I'm not sure what you're going for, though.

Here are some links that might be helpful for hair:
http://www.crscraft.com/crcsite1/products/vProduct4.asp?pid=Wigs&L1=1&L2=1&L3=0&L4=0&V2=1&V3=1&V4=1
http://www.clothdollsupply.com/hair5.html
http://www.miniworlddolls.com/Wigs5Ethnic.htm

Good luck with your puppet!
Convincing John

gfarkwort

Reaction score
Thanks guys...I like the style of of the dreads on those Los Lunnis Puppet..I'll go out and look at costume shops and thanks for the offer PuppetPlanet I might have to take you up on that. :wink:
And thanks for those links Convicing John very helpful I'm gonna have to also look for "Dreadlock rope"