Favorite multi-part Muppet sketches?

mikealan

Reaction score
Ernie cleans the apartment

Did you forget to mention the 2-part E&B skit from 1969 where Ernie had to clean up the apartment? It was used on Unpaved#1041.

Part 1: Ernie plays with the toys, making Bert feel so mad. Bert tells Ernie that he must bring most of his toys to Oscar (he's orange in this season, but we didn't see him being orange in the apartment!), but Ernie didn't want to do that, so Ernie finally decided to clean up the apartment...

Part 2: The apartment is finally clean. Bert thinks the apartment looks beautiful but there is one thing Ernie must clean up-his toys. Ernie starts fooling around when he messes his toys like his paper-clip collection, a sandwich, and an 'X' for X marks the spot, making Bert feel disgusted again. This ending music was the same as for the Season 3 skit where Cookie ate Guy Smiley at the bakery.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
I'm not trying to make a complete list, just asking you guys which ones you like best. :smirk:

HarveyK

Reaction score
barbershop

I have NEVER heard of this one. It sounds absolutley absurd!

fatblue

Reaction score
There were 3 skits with Kermit explaining the letter 'K':

First time he was about to explain, it fell of the wall

2nd time, the letter wilted on him.

3rd time, he finally explained with the help of cookie monster. At the end, CM thought of one more word with a 'K'
"KARATE! HY-YAHH" and he bust the letter in half.

CM has been known to use this little chop of his quite a few times: The rectangle skit and letter 'R' skit.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
SesameMike said:
Here's the "Ernie's Barber Shop" skit as best as I can remember.

Bert encounters Ernie inside a storefront locale, with a sign that said "Ernie's Barber Shop". Ernie is dressed in a traditional barber's white button-down shirt. After Bert's initial disbelief in Ernie's new occupation:

Ernie: I have a barber chair, I have a barber pole, so I am a barber!
(If only real life were that simple)
Bert: Yeah, but you haven't given anybody a haircut, even.
E: That's true, but I'm about to...
B: You mean you actually found somebody so dumb, that he will
actually let you cut his hair?
E: You bet, Bert.

Ernie somehow gets Bert to sit in a chair and be wrapped in an apron. Bert said stuff like:
"You don't do this every day."
"I like my hair long Ernie"

As the haircut nears an end, the camera does a close-up of Ernie saying "Just a little more. Clippity-clip clip clip, clippity clip clip." (A close-up was usually done when a stage hand neded to alter something; in this case, removing Bert's tuft, presumably.)

B: Well, how do I look?
E: You look, uh, you look with your eyes.
B: Oh, come on. Where's the mirror, Ernie?
E: Oh, you don't wanna look in the mirror, Bert.
B: Yes I do. Where's the mirror?

(Ernie hands Bert a hand mirror. His pointed head is all but depiliated.)

B: Well....I'm bald.
E: Oh, I wouldn't say that.
B: You wouldn't SAY that? BUT IT'S TRUE! You cut all my hair off. Oh, my hair... oh, my hair... (repeat and fade)
E: It'll grow back. It always does.

I think Ernie gave Bert a book at this point, the purpose of which was to give Bert something to do while his hair regrew.

The second part of the sketch:

E: You know, I feel kind of bad. I cut off all my buddy Bert's hair.

B: (approaching from off-camera with an oversized baseball cap over his head.) Ernie this will not work.
E: Why not, Bert?
B: I can't see where I'm going.

The next scenes show Ernie putting a huge wig, moustache, and beard over Bert's face. I think this was done so no one would recognize him while his hair grew back. While Bert was complaining about how ridiculous he looked, "My frends will laugh me off the street", a short, hairy monster came in. Looked a little like the Mahna-Mahna monster; I think he had a striped shirt. With a deep voice he said "Daddy! What are you doing here Daddy? I'll have to take you home with me." Bert had minor protests with "I'm not your daddy", but they were insufficent to keep from being dragged out by the creature.

The third part of the sketch.

E: Boy, it hasn't been a good day for old buddy Bert. (explains what
happened if you just joined us)

(Bert then walks in with a normal head of hair)

E: Why BERT, you're back!
B: (nods)
E: And your hair grew back!
E: (after asking some other leading questions with shakes and nods only as responses) I guess they sprayed some kind of "monster" stuff on your head.
E: But Bert, why are you so quiet? Don't you have anything to say?
B: (In a perfect Cookie Monster voice) COO-KIE!!

Ernie looks at us like, huh? Closing music plays.
Hmmm. I remember the first part of that sketch. I think they might have eventually stopped playing the rest of that because they thought it might have been too scary for kids, but I definately remember seeing a bald Bert.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
fatblue said:

3rd time, he finally explained with the help of cookie monster. At the end, CM thought of one more word with a 'K'

CM has been known to use this little chop of his quite a few times: The rectangle skit and letter 'R' skit.
gee i only recall the first 2.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
fatblue said:

Is this a 1969 skit?

fatblue

Reaction score
MuppetDude said:
Is this a 1969 skit?
I guess so, or early 1970. They never did show the third part of this skit most of the times, often, they would only show the first one and that was it! :confused: Doesn't make sense!

At this point, Frank Oz was really beginning to find the voice of CM, so I'm guessing it was later in the season.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Kermit never had any new sketches filmed in 1970 (the show's second season). I read that they tried to phase out the character, but decided to keep him in the cast the following season.