ROLE PLAY GAME Rules and Q&A

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Role Play Rules, Q&A
(Updated 2/20/06)

Role Play Games (RPG) is a fun pastime at Muppet Central, however there have been many questions raised in the past about how the games are to be played as well as how the games are performed.

This thread is created to serve as a place to get the official rules of RPGs within this community, as well as post Questions & Answers. This will stop the unnecessary number of posts for such topics and put us all on the same page as far as creating and performing in successful RPGs. It will also delete the unnecessary posting of discussion or Q&A within the games themselves.

We’ve had a few successful—and many unsuccessful—RPGs and this thread will also hopefully serve as a training tool to those who wish to become Game Hosts, and to those who wish to participate and perform in the game.

Please read all these rules prior to posting a new game, or performing in them (it doesn't take as long as it seems it will take to read all these rules).

As with all rules or guidelines, nobody will be shot for not participating 100% to code with these rules. Why? RPGs are for fun, and this is mainly just to maintain a decent structure to the game.

Game Master Rules

The Game Master (hereafter called the Game Host) is the most important person of the RPG, as without the Game Host there is no RPG.

1. To become Game Host (GH) you must first pre-determine the game’s story before starting the game. There must be an underlying plot to the game so you’ll be able to tell the actors of the game what their next step is.

2. Create particular predicaments and situations for the performers to deal with. They are subject to your disposal at this point. Those who perform are only allowed to go as far as the Game Host allows them to go in the story. They should have obstacles to overcome, and be given ‘points’ upon completion of those obstacles (ie, the prize being more energy or weapons/tools).

3. Only after the performers overcome that level/predicament given, then you will provide them with the continuation of the story.

4. Try to keep the story as realistic as prior Muppet productions.

5. If the GH wishes to perform in the game (as I have in the past) then you will want to be a member of the chorus—someone not so recognized up front. You will be in the story but you cannot give the answers (hints are okay) as to how the other players can overcome the obstacles you set forth for them in the game’s story. (As I played along, before participating to defeat the bad-guy, I only ever did it when suggested to do so by another player.)

6. If you begin a game, you absolutely MUST maintain the game and continue to run it, unless you turn it over to someone else to be the Game Host. If you cannot complete the game, then DO NOT start the game. Abandoned games clog up the Games Forum.

7. Your first post in the game should be the storyline, plot synopsis; not rules, not cast you expect to play. The plot synopsis is a one-paragraph statement that tells the tale about what the performers are going into. Do not just start a game and let the performers run wild in the games. This is BAD! You must have a story plot for it to be a RPG, and you must be giving them obstacles to overcome.

8. You can create a minor chorus character during the game to help the plot along, but you cannot remain that character. As the GH, you are also narrator and can suggest what the sideline characters do, but you cannot dictate the actions of the performers. These cameo-characters are there to pass along information and create plot twists but CANNOT be a character that someone might want to perform later in the game (ie, not a Muppet character).

9. It is preferred that RPGs are Muppet based, with JHC/Creature Shop “other” characters, as well as SS characters, invited to play along in the story.

10. Suggested settings can begin at any location, including (but not limited to) the Muppet Show Theater, The Muppet Boarding House (from Muppets from Space), Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock, The Labyrinth, and any other location considered Muppet-based (or Henson based).

11. More info on structuring the RPG is below, however, to make sure it’s noted here, create your thread titles beginning with “RPG,” so (for example) you will see in the forums: RPG: The Muppets Take Manhattan.

12. You will never denote which characters are in the game or create a cast. This way, whoever wants to play can jump in at any time—in other words, you nor other performers in the game will speak to Janice until someone comes in to play Janice, but everyone will assume that the character is/was there all along.

13. There should only be one RPG at a time. You can (and should) post a link to the game in this thread. At the game’s end you can ask that it be locked, or leave it open.

14. Do not drag some scenes out too long, or else the game becomes boring and you’ll lose performers.

NOTE: Wherein RPG’s are considered, if you want to create the RPG you are the Game Host. RPGs run Monday through Friday, with a break on the weekend. I expect that RPG Game Hosts should post at least once daily to lead the characters in the story along their challenges. If said Game Host does NOT participate and continue the story I will not accept ANY game suggestions thereafter from that member.

RPG Performers

These are those folks who participate in the game.

1. Performers cannot change the direction of the story that the Game Host has set forth. Only the GH can create plot twists. Remember, you are subject to the Game Host’s whim when you take on the role of RPG performer. The GH is your director!

2. It is suggested (but not necessary) that if you have the screenname of a particular character that you also get a matching avatar (screenname Fozzie Bear, thus has a Fozzie avatar) and be that character in the game. If not, then the avatar will serve as the character you are performing. This will save confusion on what role you are playing.

(If you do NOT have a character name as a screenname, then you are open to playing whatever role you wish to play (preferably Muppet, SS, or JHC related). This can be a clear photo, art, or your fan art of the character you are performing. If you have no avatar, someone will gladly help you get one.) Check the thread here to get an avatar: http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=5830)

3. Once you begin performing in an RPG as one character, you will remain that character for the duration of the game. You cannot change from adult version of Rowlf the Dog to become Baby Rowlf. You absolutely cannot play two different characters at the same time; each performer is only allowed to use one character in the game. You can only perform as your character; you cannot create action or dialogue for someone else’s character (however, in order to push the story along the GH can create and use a cameo character). You must also remain true to the personality and integrity of that character. Characters are on a first-come-first-served basis, so when the game begins, you should jump in quick—there cannot be 2 Kermits or 2 of any characters (and definitely not a Muppet character with a Muppet Baby Version of that character in the same game).

4. On maintaining personalities, there are some items that need to be touched on. Some characters have limited dialogue, if any at all, such as Crazy Harry or Camilla the Chicken. In an RPG it’s imperative that the characters talk at some point, so you can, for example, be Camilla and speak saying “*Bawwwk-Cluck* I love Gonzo! *Cluck.*” In the RPGs, she can talk.

5. If you are playing in the game, you should have read the first post to understand what the plot of the story is; if you are joining late, be SURE to read the entire game (at least scan it) to catch up to the point where the game is currently. When you come back to the game to play, you should scan back to your last post and read everything after that to catch up on the story and action of the game. Don’t just pick up from your last post as more may have happened in the game since then.

6. The RPG will NOT be the place to form opinions regarding religion, creeds, sex, politics, or any other topic that would NOT be within the personality/integrity of the characters in the game. Go to a different folder to create a different thread for those conversations. Likewise, post all questions regarding the RPGs—or other comments about the game—in this particular thread.

Game Set-Up

This is how the typing should be in the game

Title should be listed in bold print:

MUPPETS AND THE STONE EYE

In italics, introduce the game’s storyline, plot, and be sure to link back to these RPG Rules, Q&A.

Hi, gang! Today (1/31/2016) marks the beginning of the new role play. I'll be game host of the game. The rules for the game are already set forth on page one of the thread below.

The Story should be told in bold italics. This will be the Narration of the Game Host, and the Narrator’s text.

Dawn rises over the Muppet Boarding house. It is Friday. The show is on break for a while, however some business still has to be done at the theater, work at the house, and other such chores.

Perched on the roof of the house, Camilla breaks into morning squawks just as the alarm clocks begin to ring.

One fuzzy, brown hand reaches out and slaps the banana colored clock into off position, stretches, scratches his furry belly, then rises from his slumber.*

Responses and actions should be in regular type, actions surrounded by an asterisk.

*Grabs the remote from the coffee table and begins flipping the channels.*
Let's see what's happening in our world today.
*stops on a cartoon channel*
There we go.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ammendments to these rules may be forthcoming. If there are any distinguishable rules for the particular role-play at hand, they will be listed in the beginning of that role-play.

This thread will be the permanent rules and questions/answers thread for all role-plays so the role-plays will be free of that information and for role-play only. We will not do any role-playing within this thread.

These rules are expanded upon from the old RPG Rules, Q&A threads.

Finally, if you do not have an avatar and want one, more information can be located here:
http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5830

Beauregard

Reaction score
Hey, good old Fozzie. Thanks for setting out the rules so clearly for us.

On the topic of Beth's new RPG:

I will be joining soon, but I'm playing someone else (not sure who yet) but I'll need tro get an avator first.

Beth C

Reaction score
Cool Beau! I can't wait to see who you are... you gotta come spend the night under the stars.

This is gonna be great. The great outdoors, wild animals (I don't mean the muppets either, altho we might get wild..lol) and mountains.

~Beth C

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I just realized that Beau isn't in the Muppets on the Move game. Hmmm. That's a let-down. I'll join in on the other game when the "on the Move" game ends.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Oh, ho, I was. But I got bored of Beau's character, which is why I am playing JANICE! (And I'll get an avator of her) in the new one.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I've missed several good ol' RPG characters.

I've thrown into the Muppets on the Move the climax I was working on before. It's (as usual) had to change from the original version because I was out sick and the vehicles bypassed where I was going to have a stand-off. But, I think it's going to work better this way anyhow! Nothing like a kidnapping to get things off the road. Or on it. Or...you know. Beth, hope you don't mind it. I think the return of two people (and not likely who most are going to think they are) will make for a great TWIST ENDING!!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
You can be any female Muppet, sugarbritchez, and hop into the game anytime! Camilla, Annie Sue, Emily Bear (Fozzie's Mom), Red Fraggle (Gobo's in the game), Prairie Dawn, Betty Lou...many others!