Things to think about: Mister Rogers and Sesame Street

mikebennidict

Reaction score
somebody made this comment in the section about the aniversary special how Mr. Rogers" Neighborhood witch began a year before SS for the most part hasn't changed that much over the years. and is still running. i've thought about that myself. while they realy don't have anything in common with each other. other than they' re targeted at the same audience and have been on a long time, but i wonder if SS really needed to do as much changing as it did? otherwise how has Mr. Rogers been on the air all theese years? as for the comments on the parents being the 1 that are wanting theese changes, since many parents of young children today grew up on SS, unless they're saying their kids don't relate to the show as well,why would they complain about SS and want anything different for their kids from what they grew up with? also since many have claimed kids having shorter attention spans today, it bugs me that they blame the newer shows on this. unless your born with it, i think the reason for so many youngters today with short atteantion spans is either the way parents are raising kids and or the school system isn't teaching them right or something. Rush Limbaugh stated this 2 or 3 weeks ago, we expect little from or kids today compared to previous generations. i'll by that.

Censored

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
Rush Limbaugh stated this 2 or 3 weeks ago, we expect little from or kids today compared to previous generations. i'll by that.
One thing that most parents expect from their children is that they don't grow up to become a drug addict.

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
While SESAME STREET has tried to adapt with the times, MR. ROGERS hasn't.

And here's what I believe is the reason:

SESAME deals with more cognitive aspects of child teaching, such as letters and numbers. Its format was more of a variety show aspect, and therefore, it had to adapt to the rapidly-changing attention spans of children over the years. SESAME was more of a represenation of the "real world" at the time, and therefore had to change with the times - hairstyles, catch-phrases, trends, etc.

MR. ROGERS deals with more sensitive aspects of child teaching, such as feelings and how to deal with him. Fred Rogers had always adopted a kindler, gentler, and much SLOWER approach to his program, and while his ratings and popularity may not have been as high as SESAME's, he's never really altered this approach. Nor has he ever had to. And plus, much of his show took place within the confines of his living room set, and not the "real world."

We embrace both programs, but in different ways.

Drtooth

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:
While SESAME STREET has tried to adapt with the times, MR. ROGERS hasn't.

And here's what I believe is the reason:

SESAME deals with more cognitive aspects of child teaching, such as letters and numbers. Its format was more of a variety show aspect, and therefore, it had to adapt to the rapidly-changing attention spans of children over the years. SESAME was more of a represenation of the "real world" at the time, and therefore had to change with the times - hairstyles, catch-phrases, trends, etc.

MR. ROGERS deals with more sensitive aspects of child teaching, such as feelings and how to deal with him. Fred Rogers had always adopted a kindler, gentler, and much SLOWER approach to his program, and while his ratings and popularity may not have been as high as SESAME's, he's never really altered this approach. Nor has he ever had to. And plus, much of his show took place within the confines of his living room set, and not the "real world."

We embrace both programs, but in different ways.
Exactly what I'm thinking. And since Mr. Rogers insn't with us anymore, I don't think there'll be a chance to revamp it now. :wink:

too soon?!?!

mikebennidict

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
somebody made this comment in the section about the aniversary special how Mr. Rogers" Neighborhood witch began a year before SS for the most part hasn't changed that much over the years. and is still running. i've thought about that myself. while they realy don't have anything in common with each other. other than they' re targeted at the same audience and have been on a long time, but i wonder if SS really needed to do as much changing as it did? otherwise how has Mr. Rogers been on the air all theese years? as for the comments on the parents being the 1 that are wanting theese changes, since many parents of young children today grew up on SS, unless they're saying their kids don't relate to the show as well,why would they complain about SS and want anything different for their kids from what they grew up with? also since many have claimed kids having shorter attention spans today, it bugs me that they blame the newer shows on this. unless your born with it, i think the reason for so many youngters today with short atteantion spans is either the way parents are raising kids and or the school system isn't teaching them right or something. Rush Limbaugh stated this 2 or 3 weeks ago, we expect little from or kids today compared to previous generations. i'll by that.
also another thing that's been claimed by SS is that there audience has gotten younger froms ages 4-6 to ages 2- whatever. well the eariest memory i have is at 2 and i rememerb then watching SS. my sister who's a few years younger than i am i recall probably watching it at age 2. i doubt we were the only ones. there were probably a lot at that age who did all along.

Censored

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Exactly what I'm thinking. And since Mr. Rogers insn't with us anymore, I don't think there'll be a chance to revamp it now. :wink:

too soon?!?!
I would hope not. Unless they decide to do something horrendous like create a "New Mr. Rogers" show with a new "Mr. Rogers." They tried that with Captain Kangaroo a few years back and it was an atrocity. :eek:

Drtooth

Reaction score
NO ONE could replace Mr. Rogers. Not even if they cloned him EXACTLY...