The old Sesame Street closing

King Jim

Reaction score
Does anyone remember the old Sesame Street end theme? The statue of libertys dancing and theres a window with elmo dancing. Them they show the credits. Then a train with kids come out. Then a bird flys. Then elmo flys with ballons. Then a kid brings Big Bird to a building then he dances with Him.Then Big Bird says Sesame Street is a production of the Childrens Television Workshop.

That was on Noggin this morning. :smile: :stick_out_tongue:

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Oh sure, I remember it. I also remember the early 80-s funky music over black screens with white credits. That's my prime Sesame Street era.

ssetta

Reaction score
Yes, the animated credits you're referring to was called the "Friday Credit Crawl", and it started in 1992. They do still have it, but it's on every day, and sadly, it's MUCH shorter than it used to be. And that is not the "old" Sesame Street closing. The "old" Sesame Street closing was with a wailing harmonica solo, which was done in 1969, and was used up until 1992. And in the '80s and early '90s, they rolled the credits over Barkley and the kids in the park.

The funky music over black screens with white credits were referred to as the "Backers Credits". That music was used from 1972-1992. Then in 1992, along with Barkley and the kids, they discontinued it, and replaced it with calypso music, similar to the animated credits.

Censored

Reaction score
There were several different Sesame Street closings throughout the years. At one point in the seventies, they had drawings on a building wall with the characters and credits. Another less known closing sequence, of the early to mid seventies, involved the camera taking us down a road with just hands on a steering wheel in front of the camera, driving along.

ssetta

Reaction score
I'm actually assuming that during Season 1 and 2, they just had still pictures for the closing. Then in Season 3, they started the closing with the drawings ran from 1971 to 1976, and the steering wheel was from 1976 to 1980. Then from 1980 until 1992, they had Barkley and the kids.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
There were several different Sesame Street closings throughout the years. At one point in the seventies, they had drawings on a building wall with the characters and credits. Another less known closing sequence, of the early to mid seventies, involved the camera taking us down a road with just hands on a steering wheel in front of the camera, driving along.
i wonder who the person was driving?

Klonoa

Reaction score
The Sesame Street closing I remember most was one where they rolled the credits while some real life kids were playing with Barkley in a park. I THINK Big Bird was there, too, but I could be wrong about that.

On my PBS station, when I was little, they only showed the closing credtis on Fridays. Why is that?

--Klonoa

ssetta

Reaction score
Big Bird wasn't there in the park with Barkley and the kids.

It wasn't your PBS station, that's the way it was nationally. And to tell you the truth, I always wondered about that myself. But compared to other shows, the Sesame Street credits were pretty long. So they probably did it only on Fridays to save time.